On December 15, 2020, from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, the ORWH 30th Anniversary Scientific Symposium, titled “Advancing the Health of Women Through Science,” will feature:
- Opening remarks by NIH Director Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
- A morning keynote address on women’s mental health across the life course by Pauline M. Maki, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Obstetrics & Gynecology and Director of the Women’s Mental Health Research Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- An afternoon keynote address, titled "Meeting the Moment," from Mary Woolley, M.A., President of Research!America
- A panel of leaders from across NIH discussing their perspectives on women’s health:
- Diana Bianchi, M.D., Director, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- Gwen Collman, Ph.D., Acting Deputy Director, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Helene Langevin, M.D., Director, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Monica Webb Hooper, Ph.D., Deputy Director, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Norman Sharpless, M.D., Director, National Cancer Institute
- Nora Volkow, M.D., Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse
Additional presentations will discuss high-priority women’s health topics, such as applying the principle of studying sex as a biological variable across scientific disciplines.
The symposium is part of ORWH’s 30th Anniversary Virtual Meeting Series, which also includes the Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH) Annual Meeting on December 14 and the Specialized Centers of Research Excellence (SCORE) Annual Meeting Keynote Address on December 16. This three-day series will offer enlightening virtual presentations on health research, scientific advances in the influence of sex and gender on health and disease, and progress for women in biomedical careers.
The ORWH 30th Anniversary Scientific Symposium is free and open to the public. You can register for this event here.
Information on the other meetings can be found on the ORWH website.