Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH)
Specialized Centers of Research (SCOR) on Sex Differences
The Specialized Centers of Research (SCOR) on Sex Differences program is an innovative interdisciplinary research program focusing on sex differences and major medical conditions affecting women. The SCOR program supports established scientists conducting research at centers across the country that integrates basic, clinical, and translational research approaches to incorporating a sex and gender focus.
Eleven SCOR awards are co-funded by ORWH and the National Institute on Aging, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the National Institute of Mental Health, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
SCORs are selected on the basis of having at least three highly integrated, synergistic research projects that explore an important issue related to sex/gender health differences through interdisciplinary approaches. ORWH monitors progress in advancing sex differences research across the centers and coordinates the inter-SCOR interactions. The co-funding NIH institutes manage SCOR program-related needs.
- NIH Office of Research on Women’s Health Selects Third Round of Specialized Centers of Research on Sex Differences
- SCOR Projects and Themes, FY 2012 - FY 2016
- Select SCOR Programs FY 2007 - FY 2011 Accomplishments
SCOR and the NIH Strategic Plan for Women and Sex Differences Research
Increasing sex differences research in basic science studies is a major goal of Moving Into The Future With New Dimensions And Strategies: A Vision for 2020 For Women’s Health, the NIH strategic plan for women’s health and sex differences research. Expansion of the SCOR Centers will help achieve this goal.
For more information, please contact: Leah Miller, Ph.D., M.B.A., SCOR Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- News Release: New supplemental awards apply sex and gender lens to NIH-funded research
- Stepping Stones to the Future, ORWH Director’s Blog
- A Conversation Worth Having, ORWH Director’s Blog
- Rock Talk: Considering Sex as a Biological Variable in Research – Your Input is Requested, OER Director’s Blog
- NIH Takes Steps to Address Sex Differences in Preclinical Research, NIH Director’s Statement
- Video: Expert Interviews
- Top-to-Bottom Sex Bias in Labs Skews Results, Top 100 Stories of 2014, Discover magazine
- Learn more! Methods and Techniques for Integrating the Biological Variable Sex in Preclinical Research
- New course offering! Learn about sex and gender’s role in health care with no-cost CME/CNE/CPE courses
- Questions & Answers
- Nature Comment: NIH to balance sex in cell and animal studies
- ORWH Communications