Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH)
Some scientists are already addressing the influence of sex in biomedical research. What can we learn from their work in the lab? Here are some of their stories.
Dr. Marilyn Carroll
Studying males and females in drug addiction
Dr. Nancy Lane
Sex differences in musculoskeletal diseases across the lifespan
Dr. Nancy Nadon
Video: Studying Both Sexes with NIH's National Institute on Aging's Interventions Testing Program
Dr. Susan Harbison has observed the differences in sleep patterns between male and female Drosophilia and in how sleep deprivation biologically affects each sex differently. Learn more in this interview by NHLBI Director Dr. Gary Gibbons.
Learn about the research that the Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH) and its partnering NIH Institutes and Centers have supported, including the interdisciplinary Specialized Centers of Research on Sex Differences (SCOR) program, which focuses on the influence of sex in major medical conditions affecting women.
- The Common Fund: Studying Sex Differences in Biomedical Research
- Specialized Centers of Research (SCOR) on Sex Differences: Program Abstracts
- Administrative Supplements for Research on Sex/Gender Differences
If you have helpful information or tips to share, please contact us.
- NIH Extramural Nexus: Your One Page Guide to Rigor and Reproducibility
- Reviewer Guidance to Evaluated Sex as a Biological Variable OER
- A Fix For Gender-Bias In Animal Research Could Help Humans , NPR
- Sex as a Biological Variable: A Step Toward Stronger Science, Better Health, ORWH Director's Blog
- NIH Guide Notice: FY16 Administrative Supplements for Research on Sex/Gender Differences
- NIH Extramural Nexus: What Does It Mean to Consider Sex as a Relevant Biological Variable in Your NIH Grant Application?
- NIH Extramural Nexus: Consideration of Relevant Biological Variables in NIH Grant Applications
- Why Science Needs Female Mice , New York Times Editorial Board
- Considering Sex as a Biological Variable: in the NIH Guide, ORWH Directorís Blog
- Hey, Medicine: Stop Ignoring the Existence of Women , OZY
- Filling the Gaps: NIH to Enact New Policies to Address Sex Differences, ORWH Directorís Blog
- Rock Talk: More on Addressing Sex Differences in Preclinical Studies, OER Directorís Blog
- Studying both sexes: a guiding principle for biomedicine, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- Video: Expert Interviews
- Top-to-Bottom Sex Bias in Labs Skews Results, Top 100 Stories of 2014, Discover magazine
- New course offering! Learn about sex and genderís role in health care with no-cost CME/CNE/CPE courses
- Nature Comment: NIH to balance sex in cell and animal studies